Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Photography on Location


Working on location with clients on location can be both fun and challenging. The resulting images though make it work the extra work required.

One of the biggest challenges faced when shooting on location is the lighting. Frequently these locations are outdoors so you have the sun to work with. Then comes the supplemental light needed to make the image come to life. Sometimes its reflectors, other times it is portable strobes. More often than not it is a combination. I personally like to use my speedlights as they are small and run on batteries.

The Pocket Wizard company has come up with a new version of their product that really makes this work well. Radio Poppers has also been selling a product to provide very similar features, albeit in a very different way. The end result is wireless control of your flashes using full ETTL in environments where the built-in IR method was difficult if not impossible to use. Both these products really add to options for location photography.

Another challenge on location is permission. Phoenix requires a permit to shoot anywhere in town that is not private property. Private property owners control their property. The city is actually pretty easy to work with, and the permit is not expensive if you meet the requirements. Private property owners can be hit or miss. Some are great, others are huge corporations that you can’t even find a person to say “yes or no”.

Other cities are in the Phoenix area are not so clear cut. I have contacted most of them and they say no photographer permit for small shoots that I typically do. However I have had police and park rangers ask for my photography permits. I always tell them the truth; I was told I don’t need them. If they insist, I ask them where I get them. In any case, I still have been run off a few times, and on follow-up found that no permit was required. Better to take walk away on your own, then in handcuffs, so I prefer not to fight it too much.

So check the rules in your area. Get some portable light control. And produce some great location images.

Orcatek Photography - Phoenix

No comments: